This easy, under 30-minute, one-dish meal is packed with the nutrition power of beans, greens, and olives; it’s completely plant-based (vegan), gluten-free, and budget friendly too.
- 4 cups water
- 8 ounces uncooked bean penne pasta* (i.e., chickpea, lentil or bean)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ medium (4 ounce) onion, diced
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano (or 1 tablespoon fresh)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup kalamata olives, drained, whole
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can white beans** (i.e., cannelloni), rinsed, drained
- 1 8-ounce bunch fresh greens (i.e., rainbow Swiss chard, mustard greens, spinach, collard greens) sliced coarsely
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Pinch of kosher salt, optional
- Fill a medium pot with the water, cover, and bring to a boil over high heat. Decrease the heat to medium, add the pasta, and cook for 7 minutes (or according to package directions), until al dente. Drain the pasta and return to the pot, covered, to keep warm.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet or saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, oregano, and black pepper and saute for 4 minutes.
- Add the olives, tomatoes, and beans and saute for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add the greens, lemon juice, and cooked pasta, stirring gently. Cook for about 4 minutes, just until greens are wilted yet still bright green. Season with salt, if desired.
- Serve immediately.
- Makes 6 servings (1 1/2 cups per serving)
*Many types of bean or pulse pastas are available, or you may substitute with whole grain (contains gluten) or another variety or shape, such as fettuccine, rotini, or farfalle.
**You may replace the beans with another kind, such as chickpea, kidney, or an heirloom variety. You also may substitute beans cooked from scratch (1 ¾ cup cooked beans per 15-oz can of beans).
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 11 minutes
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 266
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 325 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 43 g
- Fiber: 9 g
- Protein: 16 g
Keywords: pasta, penne, white beans, italian