This vegan, gluten-free roasted winter vegetable medley, which includes a whole cauliflower with carrots, parsnips, and Brussels sprouts, is smothered with a simple, flavorful tahini sauce.
- 1 small head (1 pound) cauliflower
- 2 small (2 ounces each) parsnips
- 2 small (2 ounces each) carrots
- 1 pound brussels sprouts
- ¼ cup tahini
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup water
- 1 small lemon, juiced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
- ¼ cup chopped parsley (or 2 tablespoons dried)
- ½ cup pomegranate arils (or frozen)
- Remove the outer leaves of the cauliflower, and cut out core of the cauliflower head without disrupting the florets (cauliflower head should remain whole and intact).
- Scrub the parsnips and carrots and slice them (unpeeled) into large sections (about 2 inches).
- Trim the ends of the brussels sprouts and slice them in half.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Prepare the Tahini Sauce by adding tahini, olive oil, water, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, smoked paprika, brown sugar (optional), black pepper, and salt (optional) to a small mixing bowl. Whisk until smooth.
- Place the parsnips, carrots, and brussels sprouts in a large casserole or baking dish (about 2 quarts), drizzle with two-thirds of the sauce, and toss well with tongs. Arrange the vegetables in dish, allowing room for the cauliflower in the center. Drizzle the remaining sauce over the cauliflower.
- Bake uncovered in top rack of the oven at 400 F for 40-45 minutes, until vegetables are tender and golden brown.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with parsley and pomegranate arils.
- Serve immediately. Makes 8 servings.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 125
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 44 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 16 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 5 g
Keywords: roasted vegetables, healthy side dishes, winter vegetables